The Chairman

DY (Tom) wrote in
:

Ryan wrote:Hi all,

I have a swimming pool with a diatomaceous earth filter. I have heard
that you have to clean the filters twice a year, but I find myself
cleaning it about 4 - 5 times a year. The symptoms that make me clean
it: The Kreepy Krawly stops moving, and the pressure on the filter is
about 10 lbs. more than when it is freshly cleaned.

Believe me, it's a chore. Does anyone here have experience with these,
and is there some maintenance that I am not doing that is making my
filter gunk up more than usual? I try to keep the pool clean, although
sometimes it gets a little green in the winter months before I take
care of it.

Thanks for your advice,

Ryan

Welcome to the pool owners lifestyle! Pools are a lot of little work,
and it all depends. Got a lot of "dirty" trees around the pool?
Keeping the chemicals in balance? Green, huh? Keeping up with the
sanitizer? You gotta backwash when you gotta backwash. That, or sell
it all off. Tom Work at your leisure!

Yeah, lots o' trees. Also, you mention sanitizer... what is that? I
haven't used that. I do my best to keep the pH and Chlorine levels
proper. Is there something else that I should look for?

Also, I have been unable for the life of me to find a backwash feature
on my setup. Are they always there?

And yes, I have been tempted to call up the concrete truck once or
twice, that's for sure!

Ryan