Andy Hall

Default boiler / central heating problem - main burner weak and cuts out

On 15 Mar 2004 03:42:01 -0800,
(SledgehammerSteve) wrote:

Ive just spoke with a rather unhelpful chap on the Caradon Stelrad
Ideal Boilers helpline.
But just before he sussed I wasnt a qualified heating engineer
and bottled up, he said "Have you checked the burner pressure?"

I asked if he meant the gas pressure going into the gas valve,
and he said no.

Does anyone hear know how and where to check the burner pressure and
tell whether its too weak. And if it is what might be the cause.

Im now starting to thing this is a weak burner pressure problem.
The gas hob appears a bit weak as well.

Is this a problem I can get British Gas to check and fix no-charge.
Could it be their Gas meter and is testing it and fixing it included
in our gas bills.

Steve

It could be a faulty regulator at the meter.

For this one, call Transco and ask them to come and test it. There is
a test point at the meter, and there should be a specific pressure of
21mBar there.

At the input of the appliance, when all appliances are running. there
should be a pressure drop of no more than 1mBar relative to the meter.
There should be a test point on the inlet side of the appliance for
that.

The burner pressure will be listed in the installation instructions of
the boiler. It may be a single setting, or the appliance may be
range rated, in which case the pressure is set to a value in the range
to produce different output power levels. The pressure setting for
that is normally a screw on the gas valve. However, that should not
be touched until the pressure on the meter side is known, because if
the supply is out of spec and you have adjusted the valve, when it is
brought back into spec. the burner will be firing at too great a rate
(not safe).

There are normally test nipples for the pressure to use with a
manometer on the gas valve or the inlet pipe and pipe to the burner.
Obviously it is important to know which is which. Some boilers don't
have a test point on the input side.

The man at Caradon was not really being unhelpful. Legally, you are
required to be competent to work on gas systems, and if you were doing
it for someone else, trained and a CORGI member. If he felt that you
were not competent, then it is not unreasonable for him not to help
you get into trouble.

If you are 100% certain that you know what you are doing, then the
question of competence arises. A qualified fitter would have made
the checks on the supply and the burner pressures.

Another factor in all of this is whether the flue and the ventilation
provisions are OK. If either are insufficient or blocked, then the
appliance will be generating carbon monoxide, and I am sure you are
aware of the effects of that.

As a next move, I would call Transco and get them to come and check
the meter and pressure. There should not be a charge for that.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl