John A. Weeks III

In article .com,
"Tune Smith" wrote:

In Europe, they have 500-year old buildings. How long do water pipes
last there, and any methods for making water pipes last longer than 30
years?

The life of copper depends on the chemicals in the water
(stuff other than the H20 part). I have seen water in central
Wisconsin eat through a refrigerator ice maker water line in
just a few years (not that I would want to drink that water).

Copper is now going by the wayside for plumbing. The modern
stuff is called "PEX". It has been used in Europe for quite
a long time, and is now common in the US. It should be in
universal use in a few years. PEX appears to last a great
long time, decades, even in the most nasty water.

What are the options (preferably less expensive) for "plumbing
problems" like leaks in a 30-year old building?

PEX. I say that should go double in an older building since
you don't need to solder PEX plumbing, so there is far less
chance of setting the building on fire in the process.

Should a second (or even third?) opinion be obtained before spending
$90,000 on pipe replacements?

Yes. Anytime you spend $90K, you should have more than one
opinion.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications