Dane Koekoek

In message t
"Christian McArdle" wrote:

Any suggestions? Would I be able to just change the thermostat to a
longer one, or would it not physically fit?

I think 18" is the standard length for the thermostat.

Perhaps you have a fancy dual element heater and are using the short
element?

Only one set of electrical connections to the element, so I doubt it. Looked
fairly standard when I had the cover off.

Before the thermostat was fixed, did it produce enough water on electric
heating?

Simple question, but I've asked that to my mum before, but she can't answer
that! The element was replaced without my knowledge about a year or so ago at
some exhorbitant cost by some electrical/plumbing firm when the old one went
short circuit and tripped the MCB.

My parents both belong a health club where they go swimming and use the
showers there virtually every day, so (bizarrely) hardly ever have a bath or
shower at home! Mum says she thinks it worked okay before the element was
changed, but can't say whether it's worked fine since due to lack of use
other than for washing dishes or hands!

The tank is an old copper one with a lagging jacket (no foam insulation
here!) You can certainly feel that only the top small portion of the tank is
actually being heated. How can I improve on this? I know they should heat it
by the coil inside the tank as this will heat the whole tank, but they don't
want to go down this route - they say it's too much hassle replacing the old
boiler!

--
Dane Koekoek