Paul,
I've owned my Legacy 1500EX for a number of years and I can tell you
it's sturdy and well built. The aluminum parts (the rails) are heavy
extrusions and don't really get a lot of wear, but they're quite up to
the work.
Which model?
With Legacy as well as everything else in my shop, my office and my art
studio, I feel its important to buy as much product as you can. I say
this with reference to computers, cameras, woodworking machines and
tools, and practically everything else.
When I'm ready to buy, I'm already sold, so why buy too sparingly and
then struggle to catch up with all the feature I want but didn't buy?
That's even more of a problem when you buy a machine model smaller than
you will want. Then you have to buy another one to get what you'll
really use.
My 1500EX was the biggest model Legacy had at the time (no longer
offered, but replaced by other models). I've never regretted buying the
biggest machine because my last project was big Victorian style spiral
columns for our front entry.
There are other things you should consider such as the gear driven
rotary table, extra gears and reversing gear set, leg braces, and the
list can go on. Of course the accessories are always available, but if
you buy a smaller machine you may regret it.
By the way, when you get the mill, be sure to watch the videos and
maybe have the assembly video where you can refer to it when you
assemble it. (Yes, it does require major assembly when it arrives.)
After I got started on the assembly I found a couple of small parts
missing and the guys at the factory (at a toll free number) were very
helpful and sent them out very quickly.
A few years later I was having an alignment problem and called them
again. They were patient and cheerful, and the problem got solved. You
won't regret buying a Legacy.

Regards,

Don