Rex B

Sounds like you are biased against the 7x12 Asians, but I'd expect this
to be the best bang-for-the buck with the conditions you specified. You
might also look at the 8x14 variants, such as Lathemaster.com and others
sell.
Next step up would be the 9-inch old iron. I have a Logan 9x17 that
does everything I've needed, and is a quality US machine. Other good
choices include Southbend.
Avoid the 9x20 Asians unless you find a bargain ($350)
I would also avoid the Atlas machines, again unless you find a
pristine machine at a great price. Beyond that almost any 10" to 12"
lathe in good condition will work well for you.

W.E.Cole wrote:

I'd like to get a small metal working lathe to use for my robotics hobby,
preferably a table top or workbench type. The parts I plan to make will be
small, typically less than 6", and I expect to mostly use aluminum, although
I'll also be working with plastic and maybe a little brass. I'd like a
quality product that won't break the bank but also won't fall apart after a
year or so of use. It doesn't have to produce NASA quality parts, but since
I'll mostly be making small parts, I don't want a cheap import that's real
sloppy. What would be a couple of good brands/models to look for?