Charles A. Sherwood

I'd like to get a small metal working lathe to use for my robotics hobby,
preferably a table top or workbench type. The parts I plan to make will be
small, typically less than 6", and I expect to mostly use aluminum, although

If you really need to turn 6 inch diameter parts, a "small" lathe
isn't up to the task. Its difficult to turn 6 inch diameter parts
on a 6 inch lathe.

My advice is to buy a real lathe ( Clausing, Rockwell, South bend etc)
if you have the room. You will eventually end up there anyway. I started
with a tiny sherline lathe (www.sherline.com) and kept moving up in size
over the past 8 years.

I have owned seven lathes in 8 years. I currently own three (sherline,
myford super 7, rockwell 11x24). If forced to keep only one, I would keep
the rockwell. However this is a 1000 lb machine and my not fit your
living quarters.

A 12 inch atlas/craftsman is a good starting point, but it cannot compete
with an industrial lathe. On the plus side is that it only weighs about
300 lbs and would a lot easier to move and maybe cheaper depending on
the condition.

The import 7x12 or 7x20 lathes are useful and very popular too.

chuck