Jerry Martes wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I am wanting to get into amateur radio antenna building most plans

for
a j pole antenna I have seen use 1/2 inch coper tubing. I was

wondering
if I could use stainless steel to make it rust proof. Any ideas

where
one could cheaply get small diameter stainless stell tubing?
Any of you out there work with amateure radio antennas?

Stainless would work OK for a j pole. You probably couldnt notice

the
difference by ear when operating at frequencies below 400 MHz.
It has always been my experience with HAM antennas that I wouldnt

invest
much time in any design that wasnt close to *the best* performance.

Copper
is really a good performer for antennas. Aluminum, is often a

necessary
compromise. Stainless is great for automotive mounted antennas.
I suggest you post your question on Rec RadioAmatuer Antenna.

There are
some *very* well informed guys there.

Jerry

Would making the stainless steel j pole elements slightly larger in
diamter compared with a copper j pole plan over come the higher
resistance?

I thou8ght about aluminum but dont have the capability to weld it. I
thought with stainless I could fishmouth the tubes and weld them
together. I am just thinking at this point.

What about using EMT tubing? Is this rust resistant? It is cheap and
light and easy to work with.

I love fooling around in my garage with stuff. I was wondering if it
was possible maybe to make a few bucks doing this as a hobby. I have a
seocond child due any day and money will soon start to be hard to come
by!

Think this is a possibility? ANything else out there a guy could do in
his garage in his spare time to make a buck?