ChipMIK

boredwild wrote:
Thanks for the warning. Would it seem that the problem is the laser
itself (in which case I would have nothing to lose by adjusting it) or
could it be with another component, and is simply masked by adjusting
the laserpot?

It might the laser wearing out, dirty lens...or the sled/rail the laser
is mounted on that has become misaligned...if possible to re-align the
"rails", using a standard CDROM, find the adjustment with the least
power to laser (use multimeter in ohms measure between the to
side-by-side legs of the pot, looking for a peak on the meter), where
you can adjust the thing to work.

If you had the original reading of the pot, you could try setting it
back & check if you mechanically could bring the thing to work
again...if not & offcourse u as no. 1 has cleaned the lens
carefully...well tweaking is the ting to do, but will prob. only last
for a short time....hey better than a totally dead laser

Hope your not to confused of my weird way of xpression & danish thoughts
brought to english letters he he

Best regards

ChipMIK