Matt

Well, whatever you do, don't pour any jack daniels in the water. I
tried that last year. I thought it was a pretty clever idea, because an
hour after I filled the stand, the pan was empty. So I refilled it with
plain water - nothing. Added some more JD - nothing. Finally tried some
Chivas - pan empty in 1/2 hour.

This cycle continued all the way up to christmas day, when my kids woke
up me and my wife, their bright faces full of excitement way before sun
up. So we go downstairs.... what do we find? Yep. The christmas tree
had taken off it's star, and put a lampshade on it's head. Also, there
was christmas tree puke (thick, yellow sap) all over the gifts.

An alchoholic christmas tree can ruin an otherwise perfect day, so - be
careful.