Conrad Conrad is offline
Junior Member

Question Boiler noise - edited post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sirett
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:52:24 +0000, logized wrote:

"Conrad" wrote in message

Recently our Thorn Apollo copper boiler (30/50) - 23 years old - had
started making noises.
snip
However since I made the call for the visit the noise has been getting
less and was not at its worst when the engineer called. For the last 3
days there has been absolutely no unusual sound whatsoever. This leads
me to think that his diagnosis may be incorrect.

Conrad

Is your service cover the British Gas "Central heating care" at 15.50 per
month? - on their web site (
www.house.co.uk) they use the example of
"replace heat exchanger" as an example of the savings you can make (zero
cost) - so it should be covered - unless they are claiming the parts are
not available, in which case they would be quoting for a new boiler and
£564.83 seems cheap for BG prices?
Maybe you could check the contract terms and make further enquiries - I
think it is a bit unfair to charge for repairs when you are already paying a
lot for a maintenance contract.

Yes there is an opening for a good will ombudsman to take them on on this
one. Kettling that can be heard throughout the house must be approaching a
'fault' in at the opinion of at least one judge out there. ;-)

The £564.83 was for a clear out, a new boiler would be a tad more I think.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Many thanks to Andy R, Dave, Owain & Ed Sirett,
You have helped me make a decision here,
1) to introduce an inhibitor - run the system and see the benefits/ solve the problem.
2) check out British Gas as to why they think my heat exchanger is not covered under my heating maintenance contract.

Ed,
Your point about the pump, does this help?
The temperature of the out going pipe is too hot to touch when the boiler
is set to high - whilst the return pipe remains just warm. As the house is
up to temperature and the returning water only warm - I am wondering if it
is more likely to be the pump not taking the water away from the boiler fast
enough.

I still don't understand why the noise went away for the last week and has started to return again today.

I have also challenged British Gas and am awaiting a reply.

Conrad

Last edited by Conrad : December 22nd 04 at 03:44 PM Reason: To add a note to one of the contributors - with new information.