Perry Murlless

I recently upgraded my original "Type F" Foredom to a "Type CR", (1/10 hp,
reversing) with an electronic footswitch. I used the original for 40 years
and only had to replace the brushes! Other posters are right, Foredoms are
lower power and ALL flexshaft machine springs can kink if you abuse them.
But the "Duplex Spring" option helps reduce kinking and allows you to get
into tight spots.While the Foredoms are NOT heavy duty machines, they do
have a 100% duty cycle and a ton of options (handpieces, drill press
fixtures, etc.) and are EXTREMELY tough. I have done some larger work with
them but they do really shine on smaller stuff. I have no experience with
the air driven types but my thinking is that they lack torque, relying on
speed to get the job done.

"SteveB" wrote in message
I am looking at Foredom tools to use them for finishing work on light

welds.
I will also be touching up the veining on stamped rods that look like tree
limbs. I need a tool that will use a wheel or cutter, and cut veins up to
1/8" thick, but mostly less. The welds I need to dress would amount to

1/4
to 1/2 square inch. Not a lot.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which unit would be the best for
this. They come in all sorts of horsepowers and RPMS. A Makita grinder

is
14,000 rpm, and these go up to 18,000.

Should I just bite the bullet, and go for the big one since it has a foot
pedal to vary the speed and compensate for different work? Would the
smaller ones like 1/6 or 1/8 hp be an invitation to burnout?

What do you think?

Or would a top of the line Dremel be acceptable?

How about replacement tool cost comparisons?

Yah, yah, I know I can find all this out by googling, and reading the
Foredom literature I got, but I would like to hear from someone who's been
there, done that.

TIA

Steve