Rich

Default gable vent (bats!) - Attic ventilation

A few years ago, I found a small colony of bats living in the gable vent of
my house.
The bats could make their way into the attic through small holes where the
screen
was stapled to the wood vent.

After they left for the season, I took out the gable vent, attached
screening to the
outside, and made it impossible to get back in. This seems to have worked
fine.

I'm about to have my house vinyl sided and I'm thinking of having the gable
vent
closed up with plywood and siding over it. I really do want to deal with
bats
or other critters getting in.

My house is 12 years old. I have soffit vents, ridge vent, and a power temp
controlled
roof vent (I had that put in when I had central air installed).

Many/most of the similiar homes in my neighborhood do not have gable vents.
Does
it sound like I have adequate ventilation in the attic if I remove the gable
vent?
There is no gable vent on the opposite gable (chimney on that side).

Thanks