Jeff Wisnia

Tim Killian wrote:

Go to the archives for any big-city newspaper and look up some of the
spectacular air compressor tank explosions of the past. There is a
reason why air storage tanks are spec-ed and certified.

The only thing dumber than using an odd-ball tank is plumbing air with
PVC pipe.

I should explain (at the risk of repeating myself) that my skepticism
about doing non-spec things involving compressed gasses, as expressed
earlier in this thread, stems from about 50 years ago. I lost a friend
in my scuba diving club when he carelessly used a cast iron 3/4" to 1/2"
pipe thread reducing bushing to fit a "diving valve" to a CO2 fire
extinguisher bottle. Lots of us used fire extinguisher bottles as diving
tanks back then.

The threads on that bushing sheared the first time he was filling the
tank and the valve blew out and hit him under his chin and continued
into his brain, killing him on the spot. The poor guy didn't understand
the shear strengths of different materials. He'd probably still be alive
if he'd used a steel bushing, or maybe even a brass one, but he should
have NEVER used cast iron.

I have the sand cast aluminum "license plate emblem" with our diving
club's logo on it, which came from his car, nailed to my garage wall. I
still think of him every time I look at it, even though I haven't had a
scuba tank on my back for at least 40 years now.

Just my .02,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Jason D. wrote:

Looking to use propane tank either two 20lb or one 40lb tanks as air
tanks?

I'll get new empty tanks FYI if this is doable. I hear they're
supposed to hold up to 300 PSI test as part of requirement as propane
tanks?

Cheers,

Wizard

--