Nick Hull

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

The concensus of what I've heard is that while propane tanks will stand
the pressure, they are not as thick walled as tanks designed for air
service. Thus they will rust out much faster if the air in them isn't
thoroughly dry, something that's not to easy to achieve if you're
planning on using them for air compressor storage tanks.

Unless you stand them upside down it won't be easy to add a water drain
valve either.

I did use a 20 lb bottle for several years as an emergency "air pig" for
occassionally filling a flat tire. I installed a kit I purchased for
about $15 which replaced the propane tank valve with a new valve with a
pressure relief, a Schrader (tire valve) filler port, and a 2 foot hose
with a tire valve chuck on its end.

After reading comments to the contrary here and elsewhere I chucked it
and spent $29.95 on a genuine air pig.

I use several 20# tanks as air pigs, no problem as the air is always
dry. If I used them on a compressor I would mount them upside down.
For an adapter I just bought a brass plug and drilled a hole and tapped
it 1/4" FNPT

For portable air pigs I like the discarded Helium tanks of the same size
but much lighter weight but the valve is not as good.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/