someone

Will the walter flow to the basment through the pipe if there
is a heavy rain storm when the well gets flooded?

Will you have to shovel off the snow if the outlet is near the
grade and house?

jstp wrote:
One solution would be to put a wider window well outside and have a 4" hole
drilled just beside the window. This is the solution I used at my place. The
lint collects mostly at the bottom of the well, quite easy to clean.

"james" wrote in message

"Wally" wrote in message

My dryer is in my basement laundry room which is below ground. There
is not enough room/space to drill a 4" round opening to (or from) the
outside for a dryer vent. At the very top of the basement wall (which
is made of cinder blocks) there is a 9" header I think you call it.
Even this header wood is mostly below ground level.

There is a window on the wall behind the dryer but the window is just
below ground level. The window leads out to a window well on my patio
which is covered by a steel grate.

One option which I really don't want to do is to take out one of the
two side-by-side pieces of window glass and replace it with plexyglass
with a cut out for the 4" round dryer vent. This would route the hot
air out into the window well but, over time, all of the dryer lint
would coat the inside bricks of the window well. Probably the outside
of the remaining window glass too. There'd be no good way to clean it
if that happened.

Most all drier vent tubes are flexible aluminum or plastic in a 4"
diameter. There is a possibility that if I didn't have to use the 4"
venting pipe/tube I'd be able to drill a small hole in the wood header
near the window. But even if I did, the vent would be just above the
patio slate.

There's got to be a way to vent my dryer to the outside, but my
basement is entirely below ground and there's no path to get outside
other than through the top of the header.
Are there smaller diameter hoses that I could use to dead-end into a
smaller vent cover that could be mounted outside?
Any, and I mean ANY, suggestions are most appreciated.

Thanks,
Walter

Look again at what you call header ( technically called an _outside rim
joist_). If that is below ground level, the vent is the least of your
worries (think termites & or water infiltration, rot etc.) You say the
window is just below ground level, the outside rim joist will run above

the

window on the sill plate (flat 2"x more than likely 8"). The hole can be
cut in the outside rim joist (the upright 2"x material).