Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Jim wrote:
Is there a website for troubleshooting toilets?
I'll ask here first ...maybe someone can help.
I replaced all the internal working mechanisms in my toilet that had been
flushing fine (good strong flushes) with no problems. I had to replace all
the working mechanism due to a sudden break down of a part that was no
longer available. After replacing all the guts and doing everything the
instructions said, I now have a weak flush. The water level in the tank
comes right up to where the old water level stopped at. We have to stand
and hold the lever down while watching a flush or the toilet will not
totally clear leaving a specimen for the next user to look at. Lots of times
a person has to flush twice.

I'm suspicious that someone didn't try to flush something they shouldn't have.
The possibility exists that there's now a blockage that needs to be cleared.
Get one of those more elaborate plumber's helpers and fill the bell with water.
Try to flip it over into the toilet without spilling it as much as possible.
Water is incompressible and the helper will have much more effect full of water
rather than air. Do this as many times as you have to until things flush like
they used to.

Waste pipes run from smaller to larger, so if you can pop the blockage free, it
will wash into a larger pipe, eliminating (pardon the pun) the problem.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN