Default Homemade crucibles

Tim Williams wrote:
- Anyone need to know the secret? LOL

Tim

snip
See http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/cruc/index.html

Ad w/o pictures:

Making Crucibles

by Vince Gingery

Melting metal requires the application of heat to a container
containing the metal. The container we usually use is a crucible. You
can buy high quality crucibles, or you can make them. Even if you buy
the best commercial grades, they eventually wear out and sometimes
break. If you build the necessary simple equipment to make your own
crucibles, you'll have an endless supply of quality, low-cost units of
exactly the size you need.

Making a crucible is merely a process of shaping clay into the proper
shape and firing it. In other words, this is about making pottery.

You'll learn about how crucibles were made a century ago, making a PVC
mold, clay composition, ramming up, firing the crucible, making
crucible tongs, making a concrete mold, making a mold press, safety
rules and precautions, and more.

The only fancy piece of equipment you'll need is a lathe to create the
wooden mold. Vince uses his metal lathe, of course, but a wood lathe
will do the job.

And like all other Gingery books, this is loaded with a disgusting
number of photographs and drawings, with plenty of detailed how-to
"thrown in" just for kicks. In other words, this is classic Gingery
practical "how-to-do-it."

If you do nothing more than dream about pouring metal someday, I think
you're a fool not to have a copy of this. It's good. Get one. 5-1/2 x
8-1/2 booklet 64 pages

No. 1551 ... $9.95

Lindsay books has tons of casting information. Chastain's books are
very good. US Navy manual is a basic reference source. We used it for
the test in the casting class I tought.

GmcD