Karl Townsend

Setting up a steady by placing it next to the chuck and them moving it to
proper location is to be avoided.

I made a whole bunch of idler rolls for my apple line water bin dump exactly
this way. Step one was to weld in a four inch long solid rod inside the end
of a 2" steel pipe. This rod was then turned to 1" for pillow block
mounting. The idlers are 6 foot long, the chuck wouldn't even begin to hold
it anywhere close. So, I set the bottom two jaws on a pipe stub next to the
chuck, then slid it out five feet and adjusted the top one just slightly
tight. I really wish I'd had a larger spindle hole for this job

Worked fer me. How would you have done it?

P.S. I did this on a five foot lathe. The steady was clear at the end of
the lathe. I built a special tool holder bracket so the cutting was actually
beyond the end of the lathe. Wild, but got the job done.

Karl