Lawrence Glickman

On 04 Dec 2004 17:10:21 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

I can't imagine running anything my 2.5 giger can't handle. It gets
the job done.

A 2.5Ghz pentium may only be a couple of times faster than a P100, for
some tasks.

If it requires random access to large (greater than the on-chip cache)
amounts of memory, random access speed of chips hasn't really changed
in the past decade.

Some 'supercomputer' type computers took extreme measures to get round this.

OK, I put in 512MB of RAM and this thing is working as advertised.
Less than 512 is not a good idea, because I can see from my stats that
I only have 170MB of unused physical memory at the moment.

Once you get enough RAM so you don't have to do HD read/writes, you're
on your way to speed. But M$ has shafted everybody, because M$ loves
huge swap files. The more RAM you have the less you will need to
read/write to this swap file, and the more smoothly things seem to
run.

For my own purposes, this is all the computer I need. I suppose if
you had to, you could put up to 1 gig of RAM into this thing, but from
what I can see, that would be a waste of money. It wouldn't be used.

Lg