Lawrence Glickman

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:40:10 GMT, "dalecue"
wrote:

Lawrence Glickman wrote in message ...
On 3 Dec 2004 06:47:49 -0800, (Miki Kanazawa)
wrote:

Most excellent!!!

http://www.spikynorman.dsl.pipex.com...oduct/J932_ANN

OUNCE.950313.txt

According to that article, the Cray J932 can contain up to 32
processors and run 6.4 gflops. That's a whole lotta power for the $99
opening bid... assuming the system is in complete working condition.
If it's not, good luck getting parts!

University lab might be the market.

I can't imagine running anything my 2.5 giger can't handle. It gets
the job done.

LOL - the Cray could do jobs in a few hours that your toy computer
would not be able to complete in the rest of your lifetime

I don't need that kind of power for any applications that I can think
of. I'm not modeling a virtual nuclear detonation, for example. But
I _can_ keep track of every satellite in orbit that is still up there,
in Real Time.

You need more than that? Buy it.

2.5 gigs is screaming lightening for most *consumer* applications.

Furthermore, the fact that IBM is getting out of the PC market should
tell you something. Compaq even folded, and was bought out by HP.
Get a clue.

What people want these days is connectivity, to all the other
computers *out there.* So the ceiling on CPU processing speed is a
function now of _broadband connectivity_, not isolated Mips.

Lg