Rob

Thanks for the detailed info, I guess I'll pass on this. I'm on the MA/NH
border where
we frequently see feet of snow as well. The driveway is only about 80' but
it is rather
steep (I have no idea what %age grade) and has an approx 60'x60' area at the
top that
would need to be cleared as well. I knew I should have kept that truck and
just put a
plow on it...... :P.

"Andrew Duane" wrote in message
om...
A 524 is a 5 horsepower, 24" wide intake. It's likely a two-stage
(which means there is a separate small impeller that throws the snow
up the discharge chute).

This is a pretty small unit for a "long steep driveway" in my neck of
New England (southern NH). It will work, but won't be *that* much
easier than a shovel since you will have to go very slowly and only
take in a small amount of the 24" width, maybe half. If you're in
Rhode Island, where big snow means 6", it should be fine. In NH, where
we can get feet, it probably isn't worth it. I have a Deere 8/24, and
it was barely enough for my old 200' 10% pitch driveway.

"Rob" wrote in message
I have never owned a snow blower and know nothing about them, other than
they're expensive, I'm broke, and I'm tired of spending 3 hours outside
with
a shovel when it snows. I have an opportunity to pick up a 25 year old
Toro
524 for $100. It's had a recent tuneup and I'm told it runs fine, the
chute
is rather rusty though. I can't find any info about this on the net. I
dont know if its 1-stage or 2-stage. I don't know who makes the motor.
have no idea if it's good for new england winters or for a steep, long
driveway with heavy snow.

Any info about these sort of things would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!