Jeff

I have a similar problem with a "Frigidaire" fridge I bought
last year. It is very loud, to the point of disturbing music
or radio that is playing. It is the kind with compressor
underneath and the coils in the back. I called warranty service
but they said it was "normal" for a new fridge. I do not
remember older fridges being this loud, but also more annoying,
the newer ones turn off and on more often (to keep the temperature
in closer range). I would like to stuff insulation around the rear
perimeter of the fridge, but am afraid this will create a thermal
problem blocking the heat from escaping.

--
Jeff

(Emilia's Human) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

Does anyone know of a quiet fridge that does not make a high-pitched
noise? I recently bought a GE 28" width fridge from Sears. The noise
drove me nuts, so I turned it off and replaced it. No fridge for 2
months but at least it was quiet. I ate a lot of canned soup.

Comes fridge #2, a Maytag. Same problem. I must have hyperacuity in
my hearing or something. I feel like there is permanent damage to my
hearing.

I don't remember anything this loud, even where I lived 2-3 years ago.
It may be only in new refrigerators with high head pressure of energy
efficient compressors. They sure don't make them like they used to.

I think even my neighbor can hear this sometimes but I'm not sure.
It's not a loud hum or rushing air sound that bothers me - that could
be louder without my being bothered, it's the high pitch that is
setting me on edge.

Or if anyone knows of a very quiet compressor, can you please let me
know? I saw a fridge called Dometic Servel 400 that has no compressor
and is usually for people with no electricity or RVs, but can be
adapted to electricity, although I think you have to defrost it and it
costs over a thousand dollars, twice as much as this one.

If you have an opinion of whether one with coils on the back, or
non-self-defrosting, or smaller (24" width) would be quieter, I would
appreciate it.

Thank you,

Linda