Jim Gott

My old VM100 (~Aug '02) did NOT have the set screw in the insert.
My new VM120 (~Mar '04) DOES have the set screw to lock the insert to the body.
The set screw "locks" by friction and the screw "cutting" its own little
depression in the
back of the body. I've wondered if it would be better to machine that little
depression a
little deeper to give the screw more bite.
Matt Heffron
Inland Woodturners BRBR

Matt,
My newer Vicmarc inserts also have the setscrew BETWEEN THE INSERT AND THE
CHUCK BODY, but the original question was about a setscrew between the insert
and the spindle. None of my Vicmarcs have a setscrew that screws down onto the
spindle, and that was what I was addressing.

Bud,
I believe you can order your Oneway lathe with any spindle thread you want (or
at least 1 1/4 X 8), so you should not have to replace your chucks--only the
inserts to 1 1/4 X 8). I know these inserts are available for the original Nova
as a friend sometimes uses a Nova on his Stubby lathe which has 1 1/4 X 8
threads. Rather than getting a stepdown adaptor, just change out your inserts.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA