Holly

Christian McArdle wrote in message
However, by the 3rd and 4th coat, it hardly takes any at all.

P.S. It is absolutely essential to sand between the 2nd and 3rd coats.

People seem to have different opinions about this. My husband sands
after the first coat, once any remaining fibres are "set" in the
varnish.
You say after the 2nd and the Diamond Coat tin (in this case an old
tin, new ones might be different) says "before the last coat". What
do others do?

Use a
light orbital sander (NOT the hired sander!) with finish paper (i.e.

150+).
Go over the whole lot very quickly. Rub your hand in front of and

behind the
sander to feel what a difference it makes.

For floors I have just discovered a really quick and effective method.
We have a sanding pad, the type used for sanding joints when taping and
jointing, the one with the fitting which allows it to tip and turn,
which fits onto a long handle. I sanded the floors along the grain using
a method like sweeping the floor, with fine sandpaper. Much easier than
getting down on hands and knees.

The hand held pad, also meant for plaster joints, has been really useful
on the stairs too.

Holly