Jason D.

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:48:06 -0600, "Rocker" wrote:

Hi everyone,
I have gotten my very first CTC169PG chassis in the shop with a bad HV
Splitter. I am trying to access it via the front and I'm having trouble
taking the front cover off. Does this just snap off or is there some hidden
screws that I don't know about? Thanks!

Mac

Mac, The speaker cover is just held in place by friction and plastic
velcro. Give it hard tug at one corner, it follows easier after
getting one corner freed.

I'm surprised you got a first 169 with bad HV splitter unless you just
came to electronic service recently. I had to do two today.

Few advices:

Hot glue all the centering rings, they're very loose and bumped out of
position rather easily.

Vacuum up or blow out dust.

Unplug all 5 ground spades and both Red and green plugs, pull red and
green CRT boards to lay closer to the bottom of lightbox will give you
room to work on HV block depending on model design.

HV splitter block is held in place by two 1/4" hex screws.

Each four HV leads and focus/screen lead has rubber sleeve if stuck in
the HV block, fashion a dull hook with slim handle, the finger very
short to snag the sleeves out of block. 4 of them and one for
focus/screen lead.

Use RCA HV blocks (p/n 205064, appox 110 cdn cost, not dealer or
retail.), generics are poor quality electrically and physically,
generic's included plastic sleeves poorly made and impossible to use.
New HV blocks does not include the rubber sleeves, have to reuse them
after cleaning, buy them new or make them if one of them is damaged or
missing.

Clean both rubber, plastic sleeves and leads all the way back as
possible as you can with 99% alcohol. Recently, RCA sent new HV
blocks with all black sleeves which is too small except if one of
those leads is slim type use that, otherwise reuse the old sleeves.

Too loose (slim lead) or missing rubber sleeves, cut a section from
long tailed tapered tube of a black suction cup from your RCA scraps.
RCA call this gaskets and cost about 5 each. EACH!!?

Before inserting leads into HV block, set up both sleeves on a lead
close to the end of insulation with bare wire straghtened out and
checked for correct length of bare wire. Install it and snap the
sleeve in place all the way in. Push down the wire lead very firmly
with pliers to seat wire all the way in. It is fiddly job, you will
feel end of bare wire punched through waxy stuff at the bottom of
cavity. If missed, you will know it.

Dielectric silicone grease helps to slide in easier if this job is
hard to push that plastic sleeve wire assembly into HV block.

If the HV block has small board that is part of HV regulator feedback,
transfer this tiny board to new block, red wire is HV ref, black is
Ref gound (GND). Wrap wire around stakes then solder both.

Plastic sleeves color coding:
Red for HV input.
Green for RGB HV output leads.
Black for Focus/screen lead.