PhilÅ

"Kieren" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

basic question is Do it myself or get in the professionals.

Have done reasearch on the web and friends and family and really get a
mixed response from
'yeah it is easy' to 'no way I tried it once and just can't be
bothered with the hassle get the professionals in mate'

We recently bought a victorian property, want to sand the front room
boards approx 4 meter by 3.2 metre room and dining room approx 4metre
by 3 metre(front room is priority)

Various professionals to do our front room are charging from around
£350 to £450 to sand, varnish and then an extra £50 to £150 to stain.

Live in SW London way (Sunbury) and found a sand hiring company called
Floor Sander Hire . com (website surprisingly is
www.floorsanderhire.com)anyone have experience of using these guys

I reckon to hire the sander and edger plus mask, varnish etc would
cost me around the £200 mark for the weekend (including VAT)

I have to admit I am DIY incompetent, I am not stupid but have a
natural lack of ability at these things.

So given the facts above I wondered if anyone could advise me.

I realise I could potentially sand two rooms in that weekend saving
more money, although things could go wrong and I don't even complete
the first room (remember I am a first timer at this)

We are worried we may muck up the staining bit if we do it ourselves,
so advice round this area would be appreciated as well.

Not asking for instructions (although any are gratefully recieved)
more any useful tips, useful companies, knowledge from experience or
advice really

Thanks in advance

Kieren

PS Sorry should have said that money is an issue for us, many many
projects for the house, very limited cash to do it, hence the dilema.
If it was around £350 for the whole sheebang I probably would go for
professionals but the figures quoted make me think

Hi Kieren

We have a old Victorian property and recently sandered the kitchen.

We borrowed a hire sander (friend works in the shop!!) only had to pay for
the sandpaper thingies (£45).

To be honest we would never do this again. The dust was unbelievable, masks
on ok but not a nice environment, then some of the old nails must of been
sticking up and it knackered the sandpaper sheets. Also the floorboards
where a little curved so to go across the length was difficult, we ended up
going the wrong way and made the grain look funny.

We plan to cover it with some vinyl as it looks quite poor.

I would pay the extra £200 and get someone in to do it if I was going to do
it again.

Phil