John L. Weatherly

Gunner wrote:

so I figured I could pull a 110v off the
contactor and install a fuse and so forth, so the coolant runs
whenever the machine is turned on. It comes with a pedal that works
just fine and the gas solenoid and post flow timer works properly.

When in TIG mode, the contactor only engages when you actuate the pedal.
You could probably install a relay powered by the TIG/Stick selector switch
to control the water solenoid.

Is this a good machine? Will it suit my needs for basic around the
workshop puttering, gunsmithing, small aluminum welding and perhaps a
bit of small cast iron welding?

It's a good machine. I have the TIG 300/300. Short of a transformer
failing, you can repair the thing with standard off the shelf parts
available at any industrial supply house. Call Lincoln tech support & they
will answer any questions you have about it. They sent me a photocopy of
the original manual, gratis, as well.

It does suck some juice, though. When in stick mode, the contactor is
engaged all the time. Mine pulls about 30 amps at idle.

Good Luck
--
John L. Weatherly
MacGyver Industrial Technologies