Gunner

Default Lincoln Idealarc 250/250 AC/DC/ Tig question

Ive got an opportunity to pick up rather cheaply..a Lincoln
combination machine, stick, tig, ac/dc

It looks similar to this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

But is only 250 amps. It does not have the water solenoid, or the AC
outlet on the front, but its been fully tested while I was present.
Tested by a welder repair tech. He indicated that I dont really want
the water solenoid, as the coolant should be running whenever the
machine is turned on, so I figured I could pull a 110v off the
contactor and install a fuse and so forth, so the coolant runs
whenever the machine is turned on. It comes with a pedal that works
just fine and the gas solenoid and post flow timer works properly.

I have a near new Weldcraft 250 torch and hoses and an outboard
water cooler (a bit over kill..about the size of an dorm
refridgerator) and of course stinger and ground clamp and welding
cables.

Is this a good machine? Will it suit my needs for basic around the
workshop puttering, gunsmithing, small aluminum welding and perhaps a
bit of small cast iron welding?

I already have a Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC welder for the gnarly stick
stuff, but was wanting this for mostly TIG welding

Ive very little experience with TIG and the price of this machine is
right...$200.

Any comments, suggestions, hints, warnings etc?

Ive got a Lincoln AC-225 and a Century AC/DC that Im selling locally
to generate the money for this, but dont want to sell them if this is
not a good machine for me to learn and grow on. I dont think they are
worth enough together to buy newer or better machine. Shrug. Least not
in this area of California.

I picked up a big assed Hobart Cybertig 2 some time back, that is
three phase and I cant run it at home, but its at my buddies machine
shop and he can use it. Ive been scrounging up accessories (tig torch,
cables etc) for it, but I can use them on the Lincoln.

Thanks in advance.

Gunner

Come shed a tear for Michael Moore-
Though he smirked and lied like a two-bit whore
George Bush has just won another four.
Poor, sad little Michael Moore

Diogenes