John Harlow

It sounds to me like a bad control element, rather than a thermal
sensor problem (i.e., the thermal sensor was doing its job when the
oven got too hot). Of course, I have to wait about a week to get a
repair tech out. Any DIY solutions come to mind?

I assume this has electronic controls; my guess is the driver SCR or
whatever semiconductor has shorted. IF you can get to it, determine it's
bad (very low ohm reading across it on multimeter), and find a cross
reference part number, I'd bet it'd cost less than $5 to fix. But that's a
lot of IFs