Emilia's Human

Default loud, high-pitched fridge

Hi,

Does anyone know of a quiet fridge that does not make a high-pitched
noise? I recently bought a GE 28" width fridge from Sears. The noise
drove me nuts, so I turned it off and replaced it. No fridge for 2
months but at least it was quiet. I ate a lot of canned soup.

Comes fridge #2, a Maytag. Same problem. I must have hyperacuity in
my hearing or something. I feel like there is permanent damage to my
hearing.

I don't remember anything this loud, even where I lived 2-3 years ago.
It may be only in new refrigerators with high head pressure of energy
efficient compressors. They sure don't make them like they used to.

I think even my neighbor can hear this sometimes but I'm not sure.
It's not a loud hum or rushing air sound that bothers me - that could
be louder without my being bothered, it's the high pitch that is
setting me on edge.

Or if anyone knows of a very quiet compressor, can you please let me
know? I saw a fridge called Dometic Servel 400 that has no compressor
and is usually for people with no electricity or RVs, but can be
adapted to electricity, although I think you have to defrost it and it
costs over a thousand dollars, twice as much as this one.

If you have an opinion of whether one with coils on the back, or
non-self-defrosting, or smaller (24" width) would be quieter, I would
appreciate it.

Thank you,

Linda