IMM

Default Gravity fed Shower mixer ; cold from mains, hot from cylinder tank

"Ghazali" wrote in message
m...
Chris J Dixon wrote in message

. ..

4. If the water is coming through a shower mixer (i.e. pre-mixed), why
would a pressure imbalance between hot and cold have any noticeable
effect?

The mixer will be trying to achieve the set temperature by
opening and closing apertures for the two flows, If they are at
significantly different pressures it will be difficult to limit
the higher pressure flow to admit enough of the low pressure one.

Chris

Right, so the if higher pressure will be the cold, that stops me
getting scalded, which is what I'm most worried about.

If there is a concern that not enough of the lower pressure flow (in
this case the hot) will be admitted surely this will be sorted
(admittedly with a bit of initial fine tuning) by setting a high
enough temperature for the hot on the cylinder thermostat.

So far, this is sounding like a good idea......Would someone please
provide a convincing argument as to WHY I DEFINITELY should NOT try
this !

It sounds like a win win situation, (Especially as under my current
arrangement (cold fed from storage tank in loft) the hot cylinder
thermostat is set to its minimum setting, and even then I only need to
set the mixer flow very slightly to hot to get a comfortable
temperature).

This sia lose, lose, situation. The pressure at the shower mixer should be
about equal,otherwise the high pressure cold may work its way bacj up the
not pipe into the cylinder. temperature adjustmnent is applaing giving
scalds.

Best use on the basin hot from cylidner and cold from loft tank with a low
pressure mixer; not for mains pressure. On the shower use a venturi, or
somethimes called hydro, shower mixer. This takes cold from the mains and
hot from the low pressure cylidner giving a power type of shower. B&Q now
sell them. Ideal Standard Trevi Boost is an up market version. The kitchen
mixer? Get a mixer to suit; low hot and high cold pressure These are
commonly available. The bath? Hot from the cylinder and cold from the loft
tank, usings a low pressure mixer.