Asimov

"Tom" bravely wrote to "All" (02 Nov 04 18:42:43)
--- on the heady topic of " Technics SE-9060 DC on input potentiometer"

To The amplifier is DC coupled; so a little divagation in DC level will
To propagate throughout the whole amplifier.

To So if I e.g. turn the potentiometer fully on or off, there does not
To seems to be a problem, but if I adjust it towards the middle, the DC
To level increases throughout the amplifier, so it is difficult to locate
To the error.
To The amplifier is 28 years old, so it is likely that some of the
To capacitors no longer meet their specifications. I have changed some of
To them in the input stage, but no changes.

The input stage is not the source of the dc. Since the offset is worst
with the pot in the middle this indicates the leakage is from the
amplification stage immediately following the pot's wiper. I'll bet
there is a coupling capacitor inbetween which is leaky.

With a 28 year old piece of circuitry it is possible to have a leaky
electrolytic capacitor here and there, especially if it sat idle for
some months, years, decades, and they may just need "reforming".

If the amplifier is truly DC from input to output then the problem could
be the offset trim or balance is off. Perhaps a resistor went up in
value or the trimmer has a dirty or noisy contact. It may also be a
leaky transistor though.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... If all else fails, hurl it across the room a few times!