sx460

Default How many BTU furnace do I need?

Hello guys,

I'm planning on rerunning the duct work in my house and replacing the
furnace. My question for you is: how many BTU furnace should I buy?

I live in Iowa where it can get VERY cold, and for days on end. We've just
reinsulated the exterior walls with R13 fiberglass insulation (best you can
get for 4" studs). Also, replaced all sheathing, wrapped the house, and
installed vinyl siding. Livable above ground area is 1,000 sq. ft. The house
is also two story. Basement area is ~450 sq. ft. We haven't installed the
insulation in the attic yet, but it will most likely be in that 40-50 R
value range.

Thanks!