chris French

In message , Lobster
writes
"Rob Bradley" wrote in message
Is the plaster sealer sold in bottles and tins, eg B&Q Interior
Plaster Sealer, just an expensive way of buying water with a bit of
PVA mixed in? Couldn't I just use say a 1:3 PVA:water mix? Would one
coat be enough on new plaster before painting?

I recently coated a whole, newly-plastered house with 1:4 PVA at the behest
of the plasterer, and it was a disaster. It rendered the surface
impermeable, sort of non-stick, and the newly applied emulsion could be
scraped off with fingernails after it had dried. Next time I'll use
diluted, cheap white emulsion as I always have in the past.

Yep, I always use diluted white emulsion for the sealing coat. i've
noticed that where PVA is on the wall (the plasterers used it when doing
coving) that the film of the paint layer seems very thin with no
covering power so it looks like you'd need another coat anyway.

I note on the Dulux Trade emulsion they just say to seal bare plaster
with dilute emulsion, it's only on the tins of 'consumer' paint that
they seem to mention the plaster sealer.
--
Chris French, Leeds