Chas

"Dan" wrote
.....i've lived in utah over a decade, married into a mormon family
(my wife is ex-mormon),

Yeah; my wife went Jack too- then returned to the Church later in her life,
very ardent now.

i would totally agree with the idea that utah is probably closer
to a theocracy than any state in the union, but in the sense of the
people being very conservative, religious republicans not insane
gentile haters. i would also agree that they have a strong
persecutory complex from their early history and that many of them
believe they have the one true religion.

Now give them a gun and see what happens.

however, i do not believe that the positions you describe above
are held by the majority of mormons that a person would meet in utah.
rather, they would be an extreme view.

The extreme view is just that- the extreme of a scale that starts from
'neutral'. You don't need to meet but one of the extreme ones, and 'neutral'
isn't available at all.
I'm probably more affrontive to them than you are as well. It's pretty
obvious, from 50 ft. away, that I'm not Mormon- not true with them at all.

Chas