1_Patriotic_Guy

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in message news:...
Turtle,
Thanks for the initial lesson. I am trying to fill in the blanks and
learn so that I can use my spa for years to come.
1) The new motor is totally sealed as was the old. The plate on the new
motor says Type = CSM. I assume this stands for Continuos Service Motor?
Time = CONT I assume this is short for continuous?
2) The plate on the new motor also says: ENCL = DP, Form = PHM, Code =

A,
Insulation Class = B, AMB = 40 degrees C Are these important? Can

you
educate me on any of these that are.
3) On the new motor it says HP = 1.5 SPL If SPL is important, what is

it?
4) For my knowledge/understanding; What is changed to make my motor run at
high speed (looking at it, the coils and windings look the same as a

single
speed motor)? The thermostat turns the pump on low when it senses heat is
needed. High is only achieved by pushing a button on the user control

panel
on top of the spa. But what changes to make the motor run on high. When

wired it I connected red (low speed), black (high speed), white (common)

and
green (ground) wires. Yet the old a new motors clearly say they are 110
volts. I used to think changing the voltage or do I mean amps? (e.g.
electricity flowed through just the red wire on low, 110 volts, and both

the
red and black wire, 220 volts, on high) changed the speed but now assume I
was very wrong on this. Could you correct my thinking on this please.
5) If I understand you correctly, even though the plate on both motors

says
1.5 horsepower, my new 110volt motor gets 11% less HP than my old because
the amps is lower, 3.1 on new, 3.46 on old? I assume there is an equation
for this, may I know it? (3.46 - 3.1) / 3.1 = .11 Is that the equation?
6) I understand you when you say Power factor is the ability to run at

above
the stated horse power for a long period of time. If the factor is say

1.25
. You can get 25% more horse
power out of the motor and not hurt it.
I don't see power factor on the plate. How do I find out the power

factor
of the motor?

Thanks in advance.