1_Patriotic_Guy

Turtle,
Thanks for the initial lesson. I am trying to fill in the blanks and
learn so that I can use my spa for years to come.
1) The new motor is totally sealed as was the old. The plate on the new
motor says Type = CSM. I assume this stands for Continuos Service Motor?
Time = CONT I assume this is short for continuous?
2) The plate on the new motor also says: ENCL = DP, Form = PHM, Code = A,
Insulation Class = B, AMB = 40 degrees C Are these important? Can you
educate me on any of these that are.
3) On the new motor it says HP = 1.5 SPL If SPL is important, what is it?
4) For my knowledge/understanding; What is changed to make my motor run at
high speed (looking at it, the coils and windings look the same as a single
speed motor)? The thermostat turns the pump on low when it senses heat is
needed. High is only achieved by pushing a button on the user control panel
on top of the spa. But what changes to make the motor run on high. When I
wired it I connected red (low speed), black (high speed), white (common) and
green (ground) wires. Yet the old a new motors clearly say they are 110
volts. I used to think changing the voltage or do I mean amps? (e.g.
electricity flowed through just the red wire on low, 110 volts, and both the
red and black wire, 220 volts, on high) changed the speed but now assume I
was very wrong on this. Could you correct my thinking on this please.
5) If I understand you correctly, even though the plate on both motors says
1.5 horsepower, my new 110volt motor gets 11% less HP than my old because
the amps is lower, 3.1 on new, 3.46 on old? I assume there is an equation
for this, may I know it? (3.46 - 3.1) / 3.1 = .11 Is that the equation?
6) I understand you when you say Power factor is the ability to run at above
the stated horse power for a long period of time. If the factor is say 1.25
.. You can get 25% more horse
power out of the motor and not hurt it.
I don't see power factor on the plate. How do I find out the power factor

of the motor?

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in message
k.net...
Thanks for the initial contact Urtle.
Wow -- All info on old and replacement motor is the same unless noted

below:

1) I'm not good with acronyms, what is OEM?
2) Brand is Hayward (who uses a Smith motor) and adds their "wet-end"

pump.
3) HP is 1.5
4) RPM is 3450 / 1725
5) Max amps on old is 15 / 3.5 on old; 12 / 3.1 on new
I still have the original motor, the electrical contacts carbon up and
over-heat when motor is run on high. The same thing happened with the
replacement after using the spa for 1 hour. Previously the old motor

was
used for as long as 3 hours at once on high and performed well for ten
years. The low speed function of the motor only comes on when the
thermostat determmines more heat is needed.

This is Turtle.

Like others said OEM is Original Equipment of Manufactor. THE SAME MOTOR.

You have a smaller motor as looking at the Max. Amp draw with even the

Horse
Power being the same. You have a 20% less horse power or ability on 220

volt
service and a 11% less ability or horse power on 120 volt service. Look at

the
old motor and see if you can get a horse power reading off it. If not you

have
to go by Max. Amp draw for replacing with. Not all 1.5 H.P. motor are the

same
in ability. There is Power factors to concider , R.P.M. , and Totally

close or
open face for cooling the motor. These things can be a big difference.

Look at the Wiring setting for the speed to be 3,450 RPM's or the 1,725

RPM's.
If the motor is to be set at 1725 rpm's for the pump on low and 3450 rpm's

on
high. Look at the thermostat about turning on two speeds at one time.

Anytime
you turn on 2 speeds at one time. It will run hot and drop out. This is a

very
long shot and just saying it for good measure.

Well what i will say is it sounds like and looks like you have a under

powered
motor and asking more out of it than it can put out by looking at the

/Max. Amp
draw and knowing nothing else.

Look you need to find the Model number of the old motor and get a OEM from

your
supplier which they can order for you. Now you can call the maker of the

spa [
like others have said ] to get a motor from them or get the spec.s of the

motor
to get from your supplier. Here is what you need if you don't get a model

number
of the old motor.

Horse Power -------------
R.P.M's ---- You have it already
Max. Amp draw -- You have it already .
Power factor of motor ------------------
Totally sealed motor or open face for cooling the motor -----------------
This should do it.

Now here is a wild one for good measure. take your old motor to a motor

shop and
have them put new bearing in it if it is not burnt up. This is not a big

cost
item to do.

TURTLE

P.S. Power factor is the ability to run at above the stated horse power