Rick Cook

RobW wrote:

We just moved into a house that has a pantry with crappy metal
shelves. The pantry is about 7 foot wide, 18" deep (think closet).
The metal shelves that are in there, typical plastic coated wire, cup
badly from the weight of the cans, bottles, etc. There is a metal
pole midpoint along the width that connects the shelves and prevents
sagging. It actually works pretty well, except for the cupping.

I want to replace them with something sturdier. I was thinking
melamine shelves, with some type of 4/4 stock screwed to the walls as
a frame to set the shelves on. Then maybe a 4/4 hardwood on the front
of the shelf to help it stay straight, and maybe a vertical 2x2 mid
shelf to prevent sagging. Being melamine, how would I attach the
shelves to the frames? Would deck screws, screwed up from underneath,
through the frame work? My wife is fine with fixed shelves, no
adjustment, she just hates those metal shelves.

Does anybody have any better ideas.....I'm open to just about
anything.

Thanks
Rob

When we put in pantry shelves we took some 1X12 softwood shelving and
ripped it down the middle. Makes good sturdy shelves that are just deep
enough for most things.

--RC