Ian Stirling

dave wrote:
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:59:35 +0100, "Brian Reay"
wrote:

"dave" wrote in message
. ..
I remember reading somewhere that the use of creosote for wooden fence
preservative is now illegal. Is this true? The neighbours here are using

the
stuff to "do" their fences again - and of course tell me (again) that this

stuff
makes the wood last for years. Which is why they seem to do it every five

minute
no doubt!

Also they mix in used engine oil - which I know is horrible stuff. When it

rains
I can see the rainsdrops turn yellow as they run down the wood.

Even if it is legal, I wish they would use one of the many preservatives

that
are easily obtainable. Of course, that has the makings of a war - with me
telling them what to do to their own fence (no matter how nicely I put

it).
Maybe I could have a quiet word with some "anti-pollution agency"/environ.
agency or something?

You can still buy real creosote- just not in small quantities, so I assume
that it is still legal to use it.

What is your objection?

It's carcinogenic. Please see my follow-up link.

Unless you habitually chew the fence, there is unlikely to be a measurable
risk.