rufo

"Bill Smith" wrote in message et...
Thanx for the replies.

When I try to pump it up, I head gurgling sounds when I shut off the air
pump. So I suspect you are all right that the diaphragm is shot so I'll
replace the tank.

I'm pretty sure the PRV was shot anyhow. It was not just discharging under
pressure, it was dripping quite a bit too.

There should be no water in the lower (air) chamber. It's shot. And
since it's no longer absorbing the thermal expansion, that's why your
relief valve tripped. Buy a new tank (mine was $40 at Menards a few
years ago). It came pre-pressurized to 40 psi. You may have to
replace the relief valve as well -- in my limited experience, an old
valve does not reseal well after tripping.