Bill Smith

Default Recharging Diaphragm Expansion Tank

After changing a leaky pressure relief valve on my furnace, I noticed that
the diaphragm expantion tank in my hot water heating system was filled with
water.

I shut off the supply and opened the pressure relief valve. I then pushed on
the pin in the bicycle-tire valve on the expansion tank and let all the
water drain out of it through the boiler and out the expansion tank.

So far so good.

I am not sure if the diaphragm failed or I need to recharge the expansion
tank with air.

Can anyone tell me the procedure for recharging it?

Bill