Ken Vaughn

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
HSS? Mine were/are carbon steel.

Leif

I have seen both carbon steel and HSS -- these are pretty common items at
flea markets, antique stores, etc. I bought a set new many years ago, it
was stamped "High Speed Steel" under the Craftsman tm on the handle. I
found a set at a flea market which had a black coating on the chisels, but
the handle has the HSS marking also. The handles are the same shape on the
carbon steel sets.

Like Ray, I have reground many of mine for special applications. I made a
spear point scraper, similar to the Richard Raffan spear point, and I use it
a lot. I don't turn the edge on this scraper, but hone it frequently.