Gunner

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:32:31 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:25:15 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

With the good graces of our esteemed colleague Leigh from MarMachine,
Im now the proud owner of a Real Trailer.

My old and very tired 4x8 box trailer was on its last legs when Leigh
called and let me know he had found a 5x10 tilt bed single axle
trailer for me rotting away in some fellows back yard.

Cool. Let's give her a trial run. Pop a small, inexpensive
vertical mill on that puppy, run it up to me, and I'll put
all new wiring and lights on it for you, no charge.

Chuckle...where were you when I had the small inexpensive vertical
mill for sale? The Index?

Depending on what you want to do..I may be selling off my Gorton 3-Z
pantograph. It does a good job of small milling with a 12x16 or so
working space and has a knee. Ive used it as a small miller and it
works very well with cutters up to about 1/4" . It will be quite
cheap. I never could find any fonts for it that I could afford and the
plan to have the disable missus make some pocket change by doing key
chains and pool cue case labels has gone by the wayside..and its now
pretty much in the way. Id make you a hell of a deal on it. Runs
like a champ and even the paint is good G. A couple of the local
boys have made quite a few RC airplane parts on it.

After replacing the rotted tires, and temporarily installing 1" thick
plywood deck (Leigh again) I brought it home tonight. The critter
pulls like a dream, and after a bit of practice backing it up around a
parking lot, I found its very agile and controllable. This thing is
gonna be a goodie!!!

Excellent!

The trailer was commercially made and at one time pin striped and
probably painted red..but now is pretty much a solid sheet of very
thin rust.

Trailers are like that. Yeah they are.

Probably the best thing to do is find a tank blaster and have it sand
blasted, but other than a cup brush and a day grinding the rust off,
are there any other options? Some chemical or paint that will stop
the rust and coat existing rust? Its very well made with lots of
angle iron and channel and its gonna be a real PITA to wire wheel it
clean.

Some of the brush-on Rustoleum primers are made for pre-rusted
metal. I redid my front wrought iron railing with it 3 years
ago and it hasn't shown any sign of rust yet. I used their
black brush-on over it.

I think Ill try that. Ive made some phone calls, and none of my
buddies has acess to a tank sand blaster anytime soon. Seems to be
something of a shortage of them currently. No one is sandblasting oil
field tanks at the moment. Ill scrounge up someone willing to do a
brother in law job, but winter and the rainy season is coming. The
trailer is not all that bad, but was stored near the ocean so has that
sort of rust on it. Hard to tell how much exactly as the trailer was
originally painted red..shrug.

Just pondering. Pretty is not important. Utility and cheap is. G

One last thing. Its a tilt bed. Pull the pin and the bed tilts. Now
this is a very nice thing for machine tools. But I was pondering the
fact I might put a big lathe (for example) on it and not be able to
get it perfectly balanced..how the heck do I get the bed back to level
again? Or the other issue..if the heavy thingy is a bit far
forwards..how to I lift the bed to tilt?

The quick answer: Carefully!

Im sure someone here has addressed this before..so before I go all
Rube Goldberg and reinvent the Framistan Feebelfexer 9000 All Tilt
Gizmatcho...anyone got any good ideas? Trailer is rated at 5000lb
according to tounge stamp,,but its only a single axle..so figure
2000-2500 max load.

The old comealong-around-the-tongue-and-front-railing (in front)
or lift-the-rear-with-a-pocket-hydraulic-jack (in back) both work.
Sitting on the front rail and hanging over the edge to find the
pin hole sometimes works, too. DAMHIKT.

Im quite proud of the way I put in the decking. It involved a
forklift, hoisting slings and 210lbs of dead weight G

210 whole pounds on a forklift? Gee, pushin' it, aintcha?

Chuckle..the bed has internal smooth sides, but the ends are pocketed.
So I cut my 1" plywood to 1/2 the bed width (5'x12') sheets per Leighs
most excellent suggestion and then cut them to .25 less the total
inside length of the pockets. I then stuck one end into the pocket at
the rear of the trailer, and strung a rope around the plywood about
1/3 the way towards that pocket, and lifted it with the forklift. I
then stood on the other end and as the plywood bowed, my weight
allowed me to stab the other end into the far pocket. I then had a
fellow drop the forks and it went flat, with both ends neatly in the
pocket. I repeated for the other half and voila..very neatly stuck in
the pockets, the center seam is straight and tight. I used the
forklift to pull the rope back out as it was wedged in pretty good.

The open sides are 13" tall, so the remaining strips cut from the full
sheets are to be trimmed to the proper width, and will be bolted to
the open side trusses and this will enclose the trailer, adding
strengh and keeping Stuff from bouncing out.

Im trying to figure out a good way to add a bit more strength to the
front rail, to allow me to mount a winch or big D ring to attach a
ComeAlong to, to pull Stuff up into the trailer. I may..may also weld
in a longitudnal stringer as there are a couple larger than I like
open places in the frame that are over the tilt portion. I didnt
notice them until I tilted the trailer this afternoon. Shrug..that 1"
ply is tough stuff, but Id hate for it to carry a load that might go
through in the distant future.

Anyone know how difficult it is to retrofit a stock axle with electric
brakes? Ive had to do panic braking on LA freeways, and even my lil
box trailer, with a load tended to push my pickup sideways. Something
Ive been thinking about..... Shrug.

The trailer has a crank up landing gear welded up in the V next to the
hitch, and somewhere in the past it had been dragged on something and
bent backwards, so I chained up to the rear of the trailer and used a
come along to bend it back into place. Only problem with it being
there is it doesnt allow me to open the tailgate of the pickup. I
need to find one of those folding ones that fold horizontally next to
the tounge. Ive had trailers (boat usually) that wouldnt allow the
tailgate down..and it drove me crazy.

Next thing to do is figure out what the 5 lug bolt pattern is, and get
a spare tire and wheel. Ill weld a bracket on the side near the
fenders and mount it there. Thing is perfectly balanced. I can pick up
the tounge one handed and move it around easily, so would like to keep
it balanced. I want to mount a small tool box also, to keep the
tiedowns and chain binders and whatnot in, so keeping it balanced is
pretty important, while not making it look like a gypsy wagon G,
else Id simply mount a crossbed pickup box on the tounge end.
Gunner

give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com
i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke