Christopher Green

(v) wrote in message ...
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:13:15 -0500, someone wrote:

I have an elm tree out front of my place

It has one really low branch that is head height and a nuisance.

You sure about that?

There are not many elms in the US any more, what with Dutch Elm
Disease. An if you did have one - an elm is a notably vertical and
towering tree, even small ones sold by tree farms don't usually have
low branches sticking out to the side. Elms reach up up up.

-v.

Low, drooping branches are an occasional fault in all species of elm.
An elm that is prone to this may need repeated pruning. Using sterile
tools to prune and sealing pruning cuts are good precautions. Cut elm
wood should never be kept for firewood or anything else, as woodpiles
host the beetles that carry DED.

There is a lot of work in developing DED-tolerant American Elm
varieties; "Valley Forge", "New Harmony", "Princeton", and "American
Liberty" are already available, and there are more on the way.

Anybody who still has a legacy American Elm has their hands full
keeping it disease-free. There's lots of information on DED; one of
the best sites is at the Kansas State Ag Extension:

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/path-ext/fa...%20Disease.asp

--
Chris Green