Spoefish

Patience is helpful - I recently got a very nice Canada made 6"
General on e**** for $350 - had to drive a couple of hours to pick it
up, but it was very much worth it. It also depends on how wide and
long you need it. The old Rockwell/Delta or Delta Homecraft 4"
jointers can be just fine, and can often be found for under $100. Add
a 3/4 hp motor and you can do a lot of nice work - and they will most
likely last another hundred years. I have seen a lot of nice work
come out of small shops with only a 4" jointer. But do avoid the junk
that is currently on the market - if it looks like a cheap toy, most
likely it is, and you won't be happy when you get it, and it will only
get worse. Best advice is to stick with the old iron. Cheers and
much sawdust

Spoefish