J. Clarke

Old Nick wrote:

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:31:18 GMT, "Upscale"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

"Dave in WA" wrote in message
Just because it can be done is no reason to do it. Corded tools are
probably safer and I'd bet a hell of a lot more powerfull...pound for

pound,
or comparably priced.

Maybe so, but I can think of a few reasons to do it. Car battery on hand,
cordless batteries have died or are not retaining much of a charge. Maybe
cost of new batteries or rebuilding batteries is too much.

Actually, it's interesting. I have a rellay expensive 12V cordless.
The guts are great, but the supplied battery packs (at $120 per pack)
are dead. They were proprietary NiCds, and a ripoff.

Suddenly it occurs to me that I can get NiMH cells with umpteenth the
capacity, for a tenth of the price of replacement of the prop packs.

The only trouble is, of course, that the charger will go in the bin,
and that I will have to crack the pack to charge the new cells in the
intelligent NiMH charger. Temperature and all that.

There has to be a market there somewhere. I have a couple of 2-ways
that you can get in-radio chargers for, but of course the chargers
take 24 hours to charge 800mAH NiMh cells, because a quick charger
cannot measure temp if the cells are still in the radios. Devices that
talk to the chargers? Why not? Probably $1 to make and $10 on the
price.

Who knows, if you could develop the technology you might have a nice little
niche market going. I've got a couple of dead DeWalt packs here that it's
not cost effective to have rebuilt with NiCd but if I could get NiMH in
them for the retail price of a new NiCd pack or less and get a fast charger
to go with them I'd do it in an instant.

I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I
am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about
the things I know I am right about.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)