Rein

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:25:42 -0700, Rein
wrote:

I have a garage door that is about 6 years old. Attached to a genie
opener and it's been working pretty good (2car). Last couple of months
it has been as if it is binding/sticking somewhere 1/3 of the way
down. Sometimes the opener thinks something is blocking it and
reverses the door to open it again. I press the remote again and it
then closes but I do see it has a problem about 1/3 of the way down
(like something is blocking, then releases it at a certain point). I
disconnected the opener from the door and manually moved the door up
and down to see where it is sticking/rubbing/binding/?? For the life
of me I can't seem to find WHERE it is sticking on or rubbing on. All
the hinges seem fine, I lubes them to make sure. so far no luck. It's
driving me crazy, It seems like it such a small little thing that is
blocking it but I can't find where. Any tips to check ?

Thanks to all who replied. I took an even closer look to the door and
fixed it !
I first put the entire steel wire back on the spool on one side. It
was partially off the spool (only a little bit). This did not fix it.
Then I looked at the 2 wheels that the wires are wound up on. It
turned out one of the wheels was rubbing against the side of the metal
plate the axle is mounted in !! I opened the garage door all the way
up as far as possible. This way there was no tension on the
wires/spring. I loosened the two bolts that hold the wheel onto the
axle and moved the wheel a tiny little bit inwards, away from he metal
plate. I retightened the two bolts, closed the door and the binding is
completely gone !! woohoo.