Paper2002AD

I suppose the dampers must be located under the drum assembly. I guess
I could possibly access them by turning tme machine upside down.

Just take off the back of the machine

Are the dampers "active" in any sense or just rubber blocks?

Usually loke a car damper, or those things that stop a car tailgate from
flapping about

While you've got the back off, take a look at the concrete block - make sure it
hasn't loosenedT

the drum assembly seems to move quite well
dampend up-down and sideways. However in the axial direction it is
swinging quite easily. Would this be normal?

Yes - the drum can usually move very easily axially