N. Thornton

"Matthew Durkin" wrote in message ...
"Julie" wrote in message

How
much would I expect to pay for the chimney to be removed? Are there any
complications - i.e.could it be connected to next door in any way?

We've just been quoted £894 + VAT for the removal of a chimney. It's
entirely on our roof (not shared in any way with neighbours). That
includes removal of all rubbish and making good of our slate roof.
We're going to be removing the chimney breast (from the attic down)
ourselves.

oh dear. That bad :O( And I'd then need to replaster the ceiling and wall.
Hmm. Maybe I'll leave it where it is. We're only planning to be in this
house another 5 years tops and I don't think £1K to remove the chimney will
add that to the house value. Maybe I'll ring round and get some local
quotes. There's no way I'd tackle a chimney!

it will cost you far more than that, since struc eng and party wall
legalities are involved. And if youre unlucky it may turn out to not
be doable, ie if the load is a balanced one.

NT